Saturday, November 13, 2010

BETTER THAN ’96:

Greetings from finals.  I figured that since the toilets flush the other way that maybe finals would also be opposite and therefore fun.  Unfortunately this is not the case.  Damn.  Now my theory is that going to the beach will help me learn about the beach.  We’ll see how this one works out, although I’m thinking that it’ll be a keeper life strategy.

We did fun stuff towards the end of the semester that I didn’t really talk about.  There was just SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES.  They all happened after Uluru though so it’s okay.
Blue Steel at Blue Steel.

One weekend we went to Blue Steel, a Steel Factory in Port Kembla (south of Wollongong).  This tour was silly.  Our tour guide was also silly.  He was nice and all, but he tried to tell us that the steel works didn’t have emissions.  I don’t think I believe him.  I did learn though that a lot of the steel used by the factory was recycled, so that was exciting.  In fact, at least at Blue Steel, they said it was often easier to make new steel when scraps of old steel were included.  Also we got to wear fun outfits.  I think that was definitely the best part.

The next weekend we went to the Blue Mountains.  It was fun hiking around, but kind of rainy and foggy. That was a bummer.  We saw some of the views, but some were completely covered.  We did get to ride the steepest railway in the world though. 
Blue Mountains - insert awesome background here.

The day after our Blue Mountains trip, we had a final barbeque at Burnett’s house.  It was a rainy day (again), but was still a lot of fun.  We found one of the twilight books in Burnett’s house.  He claims it wasn’t his.  Also, Karen, Bianca, Sheila and I baked a cake.  The frosting was rainbow magical and the cake was a combo of seafoam green and pink (food coloring is misleading).  It was delicious, and themed “better than ‘96” because we are.  There is a picture of the cake floating around somewhere.  I will try to locate it.

Fun Fact:  Second to penguins, diprotodons may be my new favorite animal.  These large wombats were vegetarians just like me!  They went extinct in Australia at the end of the Pleistocene along with tons of other megafauna.  Early humans likely caused these extinctions, either through overhunting or habitat alteration.  Mean.   

For more information on DIPROTODONS, check out this scientifically reliable source:  Diprotodons!

I told you the outfits were awesome.




Blue Mountains #2.  Slightly more of a success.


No comments:

Post a Comment